Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Birth Year Reading Challenge



J. G. @ Hotchpot Cafe is back with another year of the wonderful Birth Year Reading Challenge. I love this challenge (and I'm a Challenge Addict), so, of course I'm jumping in. Having once again run through nearly all the books on my TBR pile from my birth year, I am taking advantage of the option to read from the birth year of a family member For full details on the challenge, click on the link above and join in!

I will be reading books published in 1947. This is the year of Gloria, my mom. Not only is my mom totally great and deserving of the honor just for being a wonderful mom--but she also gets the credit for introducing me to Nancy Drew and starting me on my long love affair with the written word in general and mysteries in particular. Mom gave me her set of 5-6 Nancy Drew books that had been a Christmas gift from her mom back in the '50s and I never looked back. I'm not sure that Mom realized that she was creating such a dedicated biblioholic when she did that.....



I've scanned my TBR list and I have a grand total of 26 books published in Mom's year. My challenge goal will be to read half the list. So, when I've logged a baker's dozen (13) I will be able to claim the challenge as complete.

Books from 1947:


The Bells of Old Bailey by Dorothy Bowers
What Beckoning Ghost by Douglas G. Brown (10/16/18)
Dark Interlude by Peter Cheyney
the Rose & the Yew Tree by Mary Westmacott (Agatha Christie)
With Intent to Deceive by Manning Coles
Another Woman's House by Mignon G. Eberhart (2/10/18)
The Velvet Fleece by Lois Eby  & John c. Fleming
Miss Agatha Doubles for Death by H. L. V. Fletcher
The Lady Regrets by James M. Fox
The Case of the Lazy Lover by Erle Stanley Gardner
The Clue of the Runaway Blonde/The Clue of the Hungry Horse by Erle Stanley Gardner
The Whispering Death by Roy Vickers
Close Quarters by Michael Gilbert
A Night of Errors by Michael Innes
A Halo for Nobody by Henry Kane
Prelude to a Certain Midnight by Gerald Kersh
Death of a Doll b Hilda Lawrence
Untidy Murder by Frances & Richard Lockridge (5/9/18)
Final Curtain by Ngaio Marsh
Miss Wither Regrets by Stuart Palmer
And Hope to Die by Richard Powell
The Restless Corpse by Alan Pruit
The Fate of the Immodest Blonde [aka Puzzle for Pilgrims] by Patrick Quentin
Terror in the Town by Edward Ronns (4/26/18)
Murder at the Mardi Gras by Elisabet M. Stone

1 comment:

J.G. said...

Wow! This is a rich list that looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for joining the BYRC again! (I've got the Progress & Reviews page up now.)