Thursday, June 14, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Do-Over

A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Hosted at Booking Through Thursday. A while ago BTT interviewed their readers for a change, and their final question was, “What question have they NOT asked at BTT that you’d love them to ask?” Ever so often they will pose those questions to their BTT followers. Like now.

Sally asks: Have you ever bought a book, started reading it and then realised you have already read it? If so, how far did you get? (Can you tell this happened to me for the first time ever this week!?!)

Oh, yes.  It tends to happen because I'm a big fan of vintage mysteries.  I read one with a certain cover and then I come across another copy with different cover art.  Being a visual person, I don't remember that I've read this book before and I go ahead and start in.  AND ever so often I run across a British-title book that I've already read with an American title (or vice versa) and that tricks me too.  How long I go on reading them depends on a lot of things--how good the book was the first time, if I remember who did it, etc.

 

5 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Another thing that tricks me is when an author brings out a previous work with a new cover, several years later.

I hate being tricked! lol

Thanks for visiting...I found my theme right away, but often I have to search a lot!

DawnTreader said...

Good point about the visual memory! I guess the cover of a book is not unimportant... ;)

Gigi Ann said...

I haven't done this for a few years, but a few month ago I bought a book I had already read. However in my defense, I read the book before I started keeping track of the books I read.

Thanks for stopping by today, it was good hearing from you.

srivalli said...

I know what you mean. I thought I had read all of Christie's books and then i saw a title I didn't recognize. It took sometime to realise that it was the American version of the book I had!

CMash said...

Me too!! That's why BB (before blogging) I had to carry a notebook with me. But since I now do everything online, I have ss.

And WTG on another finished challenge, "Ms. Challenge Addict Queen" lol