Friday, September 30, 2011

Red Cross Book Sale Treasures



Every year I look forward to the local Red Cross Book Sale. They boast over 80,000 titles as available. Well, I didn't actually take time to count, but I'd say there were at least that many--if not more. And, no, I didn't bring them all home with me. I didn't have time. I made a mad dash to the Fairgrounds after work and had less than an hour to work my way through as many sections as I could before they started herding us out the door. So, I only managed to snag 23 books. But, no worries, I'm going back tomorrow when I can browse at a more leisurely pace. Here's what I've brought home so far....

Murder Has Its Points by Richard & Frances Lockridge (the Lockridge books are always on my TBO--To Be Owned List). Still need about 20 titles before the collection will be complete.
The Dreadful Hollow
by Nicholas Blake
Wycliffe & the Guilt Edged Alibi
by W. J. Burley
Murder Down Under
by Arthur W. Upfield
Anatomy of a Murder
by Robert Traver (Dell Pocket 1st edition in the pocket size! This was an up-grade for me. I previously had a pretty rotten copy of the 2nd edition of the pocket size.)
Call for Michael Shayne
by Brett Halliday (Dell Pocket 1st edition)
She Woke to Darkness by Brett Halliday (Dell Pocket 1st edition)
The Case of Jennie Brice
by Mary Roberts Rinehart
The Gay Phoenix
by Michael Innes
Champagne for One
by Rex Stout
The Coffin Tree
by Gwendoline Butler
The Religious Body
by Catherine Aird (have read, but always wanted to own)
Murder in the Dark
by Margaret Atwood
The Fifth Man
by Manning Coles
Black Widow by Patrick Quentin
Two Men in Twenty
by Maurice Procter
The Doorbell Rang
by Rex Stout
Watson's Choice
by Gladys Mitchell (another that I've read but wanted to own)
C. B. Greenfield: A Little Madness
by Lucille Kallen
Frenchman's Creek
by Daphne du Maurier
Five Passengers from Lisbon/Wake for a Lady/The Murder in the Stork Club
by Mignon G. Eberhart/H. W. Roden/Vera Caspary (3-in-1 book club edition--bought purely for the Caspary portion, but I'll certainly check out the others)
Strange Murders at Greystones
by Elsie N Wright (in the clearance section & I couldn't resist even though I know nothing about Wright)
C
rime & Mr. Campion by Margery Allingham


8 comments:

wutheringwillow said...

I am jealous! Wish I could be there too.

Bev Hankins said...

would love to have you visit if you could...maybe next year. They always hold it the first weekend of October.

Yvette said...

I am SO freakin' jealous!!! Wish I were there as well.

WOW! What I wouldn't give to have something like that around here.

Yvette said...

P.S. I am currently re-reading CHAMPAGNE FOR ONE by Rex Stout. :)

Carol said...

What a haul!

J F Norris said...

The Elsie N Wright book rang a bell. But it's one I don't think I want to answer. Here's why: Bill Deeck's review at Mystery*File.

Otherwise, some great titles in this batch listed especially the Upfield and Patrick Quentin books.

Bev Hankins said...

John: I actually found that review after I brought it home. I still want to read it. Just to see how bad it really is. May wind up being a "train wreck" kind of book...so awful, but you just can't stop looking at it. :-)

Jenners said...

I had no idea the Red Cross had a book sale. I'll have to look for it!