Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a bookish meme hosted by Book Journey. It's where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It's a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list. So hop on over via the link above and join in...and leave a comment here so I can check out what you are reading

I missed last week, so here's the list since my last post.


Books Read (click on titles for review):
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Holmes by Loren D Estleman
That Day in September by Artie Van Why
The Yellow Dog by Georges Simenon
The Fencing Master by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte
No Case for the Police by V. C Clinton-Baddeley

Currently Reading:
Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen: Originally published in 1934, Seven Gothic Tales, the first book by "one of the finest and most singular artists of our time" (The Atlantic), is a modern classic. Here are seven exquisite tales combining the keen psychological insight characteristic of the modern short story with the haunting mystery of the nineteenth-century Gothic tale, in the tradition of writers such as Goethe, Hoffmann, and Poe. [Still...this one is turning into a long haul....]


The Elberg Collection by Anthony Oliver: Former police inspector John Webber is enjoying his retirement in the small English village of Flaxfield when the irrepressible Lizzie Thomas, his housekeeper and companion, urges him back to work. Jessica Elberg, wife of a wealthy industrialist, is dissatisfied with the police report on her parents' deaths. Master potter David Walton and his wife were walking on the beach of a French resort town when her dress went up in flames. Moments later the couple were dead. Mrs. Elberg thinks it was no freak accident--the official verdict--and Webber, investigating in London is inclined to agree.


Books that spark my interest:
Shatterday by Harlan Ellison
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson


3 comments:

BookGal said...

The Book Thief is one of my all time favorites. I hope you read it. Here's my week:

http://booksmemesmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/its-monday-heres-what-im-reading.html

Unknown said...

Like BookGal "The Book Thief" is one of my fave reads, here's my review.

pussreboots said...

I also just finished That Day in September. I'm posting late this week because I've been on a trip to the mountains and out of reach of the internet. Please come see what I've read.