Saturday, June 11, 2011

Book Loot

My trip to the library this week didn't produce any winners to borrow--so I have no Library Loot post. BUT we stopped at a huge garage sale being held to raise funds for the local museum and I came away with a very nice stack of books indeed.

Here's the loot tally:
Five Detective Book Club 3-in-1 editions (all lovely vintage mysteries):
1. Veiled Murder (Alice Campbell)/The Case of the Negligent Nymph (Erle Stanley Gardner)/Four Lost Ladies (Stuart
Palmer)
2. The Sole Survivor (Roy Vickers)/The Corpse with One Shoe (Margaret Scherf)/Judgment on Deltchev (Eric Ambler)

3. Through a Glass, Darkly (Helen McCloy)/Maid to Murder (Roy Vickers)/Shell Game (Richard Powell)

4. By Hook or by Crook (Anthony Gilbert)/The Shadowy Third (Marco Page)/The Whispering Dea
th (Roy Vickers)
5. Alias Basil Willing (Helen McCloy)/Accident by Design (E. C. R. Lorac)/The Watch Sinister (Marie Blizard)


(This is the type of books I'm talking about)


Also grabbed up:
Death by Water by Michael Innes
The Property of a Lady by Anthony Oliver

Death of a God by S. T. Haymon

Murder Misread by P. M. Carlson


And one book from the Friends of the Library Bookstore:

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

4 comments:

J F Norris said...

Now you have no excuse not to read Helen McCloy. THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY is considered her finest. Nice score! I like buying those Detective Book Club editions when they have really hard to find titles. They are always priced cheaply when I come across one. I bet you got a bagful of bargains. Of the books in that long list you might try before any of the others: FOUR LOST LADIES - Hildegarde Withers is always fun. THE SHADOWY THIRD is the best of the Marco Page books - rare violins and murder. Better than RECLINING FIGURE I'd say. Richard Powell is soft boiled and he likes guns. I don't know SHELL GAME, but it may be one with his husband and wife detective team. Can't remember their names but they're along the lines of Pat Abbott and his wife (Frances Crane books) or the Troys in the books by Kelley Roos.

Happy Reading!

wutheringwillow said...

Wonderful haul! I am positively green with envy!

Bev Hankins said...

@John: Yes, the McCloy titles were what first caught my eye. I'm alway on the lookout for her. And Stuart Palmer's Hildegarde Withers is one of my favorites. Although I know the name Roy Vickers, I've never read any of his--so I'm curious to see what those are like.

Yvette said...

Ooooh, lucky you, Bev. It's been ages since I've been to a used bookstore or bumped into a sidewalk or garage sale of books.

Looks like you brought home some really good stuff.